Thursday, April 10, 2014

Timehop + Why I blog

If you don’t have the timehop app, I suggest you download it immediately. It will look back at your Facebook and Instagram accounts and tell you what you were doing this day or this week any number of years ago. The other day it reminded me of an album I’d posted seven years ago. Yikes! Blast from the past that was.


Anyway, it is perfect for bloggers. Isn’t the ability to look back in time and reflect on our lives one of the main reasons most of us blog? Today timehop reminded me of a status I’d posted three years ago.

Three years is not that long in the scheme of things. Though a lot can happen in 36 months, it’s not that much time. It’s less time than we spend in high school or college. Less time than I’ve had Facebook. Less time than I’ve known most of my friends. But three years ago, April 2011, I didn’t know my husband (we met in September 2011). So this particular three years has been big for me. The status update that I posted three years ago this week went like this

“No person or event will ever convince me that my life will turn out anything but wonderful J We all suffer in our own way, but If you keep faith and act accordingly, anything is possible. Remember this: Love yourself, others will love you too. Disrespect yourself: others will too.”


Who really knows what was going on in my life or my head that week. All I can remember is being conflicted about finishing school and starting the work force, still getting over my last break up, and trying to decide what the heck I was going to do with the rest of my life. I am proud of myself for having that outlook though, and I am proud that it is something I still believe and try to follow. Life is not perfect. Life is actually really depressing (for a lot of people, not all people) and hard when you think about it. BUT, if you think about the good in people and the good in the world, it is enough to outweigh all of the bad and the horrible things that are out in the universe. I am a Christian, and I believe in God’s plan, but I also believe in “the universe” and energy and that you get back what you put out into the world. I’m not an expert on religion or karma but I am 110% sure that if you expect life to suck, it will. And that if you expect each day to be fabulous, it will be.


The other day I was going through some emails from five or so years ago, trying to find a particular message. I came across an email exchange between me and my boyfriend at the time. Now I don’t talk to this particular individual very frequently anymore. I’m pretty sure his full time job is jet setting between LA and NY to go to raves. Don’t ask me how that’s a paying career, but apparently for some people it is. Anyway, though we don’t talk, I harbor no ill feelings toward him, and our relationship was pretty fulfilling as far as relationships in your late teens/early twenties go. In this exchange, I was expressing my feelings about how he basically wasn’t meeting my standards for what a boyfriend should be. His response was that perhaps my standards were too high, that is was the 21st century, and I needed to stop expecting to be treated like a princess.

HA!

I should have known we were doomed from that statement. I am here to tell you, that if anyone tells you you are not a princess, you should run the other direction. Thankfully, I didn’t believe him. I knew that if I was a good person, and good student and employee, a caring citizen, and most of all, a loving, loyal, supportive partner to my spouse- that I could in fact find someone that would treat me like a princess. And I did. I truly feel sorry for the individual mentioned above, and I hope he learns how to treat his future girlfriends, or he is in for a sad lonely existence.


My point is, this is why I blog. So I have the ability to look back. So I can laugh at my past self for silly decisions, and also pat my past self on the back for the smart decisions, and sticking to my guns. I blog so I can share these notes one day with my sisters (only one of them reads this blog occasionally- probably quite boring for teenagers at this point), or my daughter (EEK!!), and they will hopefully learn from my mistakes. I may never have 1,000 followers or get 100 of comments, but I know somewhere someone is reading, and hopefully learning something. And I know I am putting positivity out into the world, that will one day come back to me. Just like it always does J


Happy Thursday people!
Tess @ AModernSuburbanitesLife said...

documenting is definitely why I blog. I enjoy connecting too.

Lions, Tigers and Fashion OH MY! said...

what a neat app! I will have to check it out.

© g squared. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.