Thursday, June 20, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me. 25 in 25.

So, I'm 25. How about that?

I have never been one to make a big deal out of my own birthday. I remember loathing a June 20th birthday as a child. Firstly, because I had to share my special day with Father's Day weekend. I love my Dad, but none of your friends can come to parties when they're busy going to BBQ's or the zoo with their parents. Secondly, it's in the summer. No special treatment or cupcakes at school. No passing out your super cool invitations to all your friends in class, to the party they won't be able to come it.

Turning 24. Scarlett was less than thrilled.

I had no idea I was so bitter about this?!

But seriously. Though I'm not one to make a fuss, there's something about being a quarter of a century old that makes this one seem special. It is also my first birthday celebrated in this home. My first birthday as a married woman, with a new name.


While I still feel like a kid some days, I have learned a lot in the past decade and a half. It's hard to believe I've managed to graduate college, get married, and buy a house. I'm proud to say I've done all three, and they all three experiences have taught me so many invaluable lessons. It was a rocky road at some points, but my life is finally where I've always wanted it to be!  So here it is, the top 25 things I've learned in 25 years.

If you don't make it through al 25 items, I completely understand. But one day this may be very funny to look back on.

My 23rd. I think? My memory is going with old age.

1. If something seems too good to be true, it usually is. There are certain exceptions, but for the most part- this is true.

2. All pizza rolls are delicious, but cheese ones are the worst. There's just something missing. Every once in a while I give them another chance, but they just never compare to combo or meat.

3. Your parents are usually right.

4. Some of the best things in life are the hardest things. Hard does not equal bad.

5. No friendship, relationship, status, or career can make you happy until you are happy with yourself.

6. Get a job you love. Just because you're good at something, doesn't mean it's for you.

7. All good beers and good wines are a required taste.

8. Living alone before you live with a boyfriend is crucial. Everyone needs at least one apartment to come home to where they can run around looking like a bum, eating ice cream out of the carton, and just not caring if anything is clean. While I still sometimes do this today, it's nice to do it with no one else knowing it happened :)

9. Buying one expensive, nice article of clothing is better than 5 tops from Forever 21.

I still do that one too...

10. Apple > all other cell phone brands. And I've tried them all.

11. Pinterest will teach you all you need to know about cooking. I hear there are other websites that house recipes. I refuse to believe they're better.

12. Learn what to do when the power goes out and your car breaks down, without asking for help. It will come in handy.

13. You can meet nice boys in bars.

14. Most people don't know what they're talking about. Take all advice given with a grain of salt.

15. Be nice to people. And don't judge them. It's easier, and you will feel better about yourself.

16. Everyone should work in food service just once. When you get treated like a moron at your own job because you didn't get some jerk their dinner fast enough, it gives you a whole other perspective on society.

17. Cheesecake Factory has the best mac and cheese. Unless you're in Cincinnati. Then Keystone has the best, and Cheesecake Factory is second.

18. Siblings are the greatest gifts you will ever be given. I expect children to be just as good, possibly better, but for now it's hard to say.

19. The only cable TV channels you really need are Investigation Discovery and HGTV.

20. Watching 19 Kids and Counting will just make you feel like you can be a great mother. That Michelle knows what she is doing.

21. Avoid political and religious conversations unless you love the person unconditionally, or don't mind if you end up hating them.

22. The book is always better than the movie.

23. Old friends are the best friends.

24. Don't let others dictate how you feel about yourself.

25. 25 lessons is hard to list.

And there you have it. I plan to write actual posts dedicated to some of the above topics, because they really are important lessons.

I will spend today working late and running errands. The joys of being old :) Here's to the next 25!

Pamela said...

Happy birthday!! Two years ago, when I turned 23, it was the first year that I wasn't excited about my birthday! I guess I realizes that I really was getting older. My 25th birthday is in September, so I am kind of dreading that now ha! Part of me is in shock because I can't believe how fast time has flown all these years!! Absolutely love the list!

Allie @ Between Dreams said...

Happy birthday, sweet girl!! xx

Katie said...

Yay happy happy birthday!! Hope you are doing something fun to celebrate!!

Unknown said...

Just stumbled across your blog, and this post is awesome. I'm 20, and am starting to figure most of these out. Lots of truth! Thanks for the read :)

© g squared. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.