Tuesday, October 22, 2013

5 weeks and counting

Maybe it’s the cold morning air, maybe it’s the pumpkin spice latte that the sweet lady in my company’s bistro just doctored up for me, I can’t be sure. But I will tell you this- I just got super excited for Thanksgiving. I’m always excited for Thanksgiving as I love food almost as I love a good sale and excuse to shop. And the family time obviously. Last year (and I think the year before that?) was spent at Will’s parent's. Their house is so homie, I love that there are always kids running around, and his Mom makes a pretty good “Thanksgiving sandwich” as W likes to call it, when it’s time to eat round two. This year however, we will be venturing north.


Since my Mom and sisters will be visiting us in Cincinnati for the holidays, and my sister Paige turns 15 the day before Thanksgiving, we decided to head to Chicago to celebrate this year’s day of thanks. I can’t remember the last time I celebrated this day in Chicago, and am so excited to experience it with the girls now that they are older, and of course with my husband. One of my best friends from high school (who I also went away to college with) was recently transferred to an area very close to my Mom, so I’m hoping we can even sneak in a visit with him! Other items on the agenda include spending time in the kitchen with my Mom, Will watching football and enjoying the company of four woman, two of them being teenagers (he comes from a family of all boys- insert sarcasm), shopping, walk taking and hopefully some site seeing. Regardless of what we do, I know it will be one for the books. My Mom is basically the best cook in this universe. Her house is the perfect balance of gorgeous decor and cozy pieces of furniture. It always smells good. How she pulls this off as a single Mom with a 60 hour work week is beyond me. She is always positive and it's impossible not to be in a good mood around her. The woman is a super hero, and we are so lucky to have her.

Oh, and did I mention we’re bringing the dogs? If I had it my way, they’d come everywhere with us. For some reason though, most people don’t seem to want a couple of mutts who constantly shed, are super active, and weigh 50 and 70 pounds respectively, running around their home. Thankfully for me, my Mom is not most people. They will be making the 5-6 hour journey with us, and I am pretty interested to see how this goes. Sadie has traveled quite a bit with W, back before he knew me and had to live various places for work. Holly on the other hand, has never been on longer than a 30 minute car ride. Any tips for traveling with pets?

No matter what happens on this little journey, I cannot wait to have them with us on the holiday instead of me watching the clock anxious about whether or not they are lonely or need to be let out or not (crazy dog person here). I know they will love being in a new place, and especially love smelling new smells. I plan to find a new dog park or two to take them to, and I am sure that will be what they are most thankful for this year.


Writing this post got me even more excited, thank goodness there’s just 5 weeks and counting. What are you most looking forward to this Thanksgiving?
Brittany said...

Oh thanksgiving. SO much fun food and family. What could be better? That is great that you get to bring your dogs with you. I am hoping I can bring mine for Thanksgiving too, even though The drive is about an hour away and we won't be gone for more than 5 :)

Brittany said...

I'm a Cincinnati girl who found your blog because of that awesome blogger date you went on! I can't wait for Thanksgiving and I don't blame you one bit for being worried about your dogs!

Kaysie said...

I love the anticipation of Thanksgiving more than I love Thanksgiving, I think. Like you said, just something about the way everything feels when fall comes around. We just got a puppy so I totally understand the dog part . They're family too! :)

© g squared. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.